Monday, April 16, 2012

I feel squishy as a bear

(I know I ramble, the question is at the bottom)
Hello,
I had stopped playing WoW for several months and came back 5 days ago with the free 7 days that they sent everyone with patch 4.2.
My main before I left was my pally tank in i346 so I picked him up and ran some heroics to get to about i357 and even ZA and ZG now feel like a walk in the park.

I love to tank so I then levelled my druid to be a bear. Since my gear was garbage I queued as dps at first and therefore all the gear I have so far is for my dps set. As far as I know there isn't too much difference between dps and tank sets aside from gems and how to reforge but I'm holding out on that for now until I know what I will be doing with each piece (tank or dps). I know I would reforge to dodge all the haste that I have and probably a couple other things but dodge is useless for dps so I'm waiting. I still have something like 29% dodge in bear which is decent I thought since it's more then the combined dodge+parry of my pally (although I don't have the 50% chance of taking 30% less damage from actual blocks)

I was told that bears aren't very good until you have a lot of mastery to have a big face block so maybe it's because my mastery is too low, but I ran heroic GB last night to try out tanking and I was getting destroyed on trash pulls. Bosses seemed easier since I had time to get face block up between hits but on those pulls where there are 5-8 mobs (we had an awesome comp of no CC, thank you LFD), I had to pop all cooldowns back to back and even then the healer could barely keep me up (healer had ~109k mana so I assumed that's i359+).

I know my gear is terrible and not the best for tanking but I had assumed that with i351, even dps gear could compensate for not pure tanking stats of the i333 required to do those heroics. I wouldn't even try to tank ZA/ZG right now even if I can queue for it as I'm afraid to get booted 3 pulls in.

Is it bears in general that really require lots of mastery/dodge to be effective in heroics where you're getting hit by a lot of mobs instead of one big one? Is it really MY gear that's just too bad to do heroics? Is it just because I'm too used to pallies being OP in tanking? I really love to tank and have been doing so every expansion for 4 years and my four mains are the four tanking classes, but since I'm able to do 16-19k dps on bosses as a kitty I figure maybe I should stick to tanking on my other toons and just dps on my druid.
All leather is dps gear, it is what bears tank with - there is no such thing as leather tank gear. Your gear is fine for heroics, you outgear the crap out of the i346 content. ZA/ZG is easy if you know the fights and your healer isn't asleep, so I think you shouldn't have any problems there either. You could probably tank the nerfed T11 no problem as well considering how easy the initial bosses are now.

Replace your helm ASAP so you can get the Meta. Enchant all your gear, change enchant on your legs to tank. Reforge least desirable secondary on all gear to dodge. Mastery is your next best secondary stat. Bears are great tanks, have fun.
I think you'll see a difference if/when you dump some of those stats into dodge.

And it's always been my general thought that Paladins are one of the easier tanks, but I haven't actually experienced it myself.
29% dodge is very very low. I get around 41% dodge in a raid, and I want more xD I used many tanking pieces when gearing my kitty set (still do, actually) and you'll find that it doesn't matter very much at all. Although reforging for dodge will help, you'll find that it'll get easier when you get more agility from higher ilvl items.

Yes, more mastery will help AoE tanking. Grim Batol isn't the easiest to start off tanking, so if you did okay in there then you're looking good xD Paladins are pretty "lawls" for tanking, and you generally find they don't get gibbed. On the contrary, a bear's low health (compared to a paladin with more hybrid stamina gems) means that it looks like you're taking more damage and thus you may feel squishier, but you're really not. In randoms, don't worry too much about anything except being able to stay alive and keeping agro. The damage you take will drop more and more with the new gear you get.
Being a new 85, I am curious why this tank doesnt utilize
resilience?...
Your gear is fine for ZA/ZG you just need more dodge. You have a lot of the same gear as I do but when I have strength/horn/battle I have like 39% dodge. I have only gone into a raid once on this toon but I cleared BoT as OT on this guy and healers had no complaints. Once in ZG I had a healer ask me if bears got some crazy buff cause he said I was taking way less damage than he was used to healing through... And like I said, we have some pretty similar gear :)

And enchant your gear!
Being a new 85, I am curious why this tank doesnt utilize
resilience?...

Go into your armory page and read the tooltip for resilience.

No comments:

Post a Comment