Monday, April 16, 2012

Savage Roar efficiency question.

So I've been looking at ways to try to squeeze a bit more DPS out of my kitty, so I started digging between the couch cushions for some extra DPS, and ended up staring at the duration discrepancy in savage roar.

At the moment I just refresh it with whatever I have when it's down to the last few seconds. But looking at it, it seems that the more CPs that are invested into it the less efficient it is. you get 22 seconds for one cp, but 4 more cp only adds 20 more seconds to the duration, so the more you invest, the less payoff you get per CP:
1 cp = 22 sec per cp
2 cp = 13.5 sec per cp
3 cp = 10.6 sec
4 cp = 9.25 sec
5 cp = 8.4 sec
I feel These could be CPs I could be building up toward potentially a quick FB since it was buffed, or my next refresh, but on the inverse, using SR at 1-2 CPs makes it less energy efficient, with just .88 seconds per energy invested, but at 5 cp investment you get 1.68 seconds of SR per energy spent, but energy at least comes in reliably.

So does the amount of CPs used for Savage Roar actually effect DPS performance? I imagine it it does the difference is negligible but I'll take every point of damage I can get. The few guides I've checked seem to just say to refresh it with at least 1 cp, but I haven't found anything conclusive questioning the efficiency of it. Has anyone ever tried crunching the numbers to see the DPS value of each CP used to Savage Roar?
Many, many times.

The information is in the sticky.

As long as you keep the buff up 100% of the time, the CP you use it at isn't all that important. Ferals are not GCD capped, they are energy capped. Therefore, the time per CP isn't as important as the energy cost per CP really. If you use Savage roar at 1 point every time, you will use significantly more energy than someone using it at 5 points every time. (25 per 22 seconds vs. 25 per 42 seconds, or almost double) on SR upkeep. Ferocious bite is a reasonably small dps gain only if you do it correctly - you won't gain massive amounts of dps by significantly changing your strategy in regards to SR upkeep and ferocious biting more rather than an extra shred.

In reality, somewhere in the middle is good.
Well I was making the assumption that a CP costs about 30 energy to build with my crit rate. Each 1cp refresh was 55 energy every 22s (30 for cp and 25 for SR) while a 5point was 175 energy every 42 seconds. So just at an estimate it would be something 65 additional energy invested for a 5pt roar that effectively is not providing any addition bonus aside from the damage of the initial move, basically thowing away 2 earned cps, unless my math is bad.

And I didn't see much depth on the issue in the sticky, which is why i asked.

Edited: for clarity
Energy is far more important and costly than CPs, use 5 CP SRs if you can.


maximal energy use is optimal, assuming you maintain the usual rip / rake / sr.

so 5cps SRs will get you max damage, all other things being equal.


but.... if you try to weave in FBs that gets a lot harder. i'll frequently use a lower cp SR following a good bite opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment